Dental Hygienistsat Dentalcare Pangbourne
Why make an appointment to see Dental Hygienists
At Dentalcare Pangbourne, we believe that a good oral hygiene routine at home combined with regular dental check-ups can help maintain maximum oral health.
Whilst our dentists check on your general oral health, our hygienists are specifically qualified to pay particular attention to your gums. They help to reduce your chances of getting gum disease, gingivitis and tooth loss by removing the plaque and tartar deposits that can build up.
At home we advise that you avoid gum disease and tooth decay by brushing for at least 2 minutes twice a day. Clean between your teeth using floss, dental tape or interdental brushes. Using mouthwash can help keep teeth plaque free and freshen your breath.
We recommend that you see a hygienist twice a year, and you may want to increase these if you notice problems with staining on your teeth or bleeding gums. Regular dental hygiene appointments can act as a preventative measure in avoiding:
- Tooth decay
- Bleeding gums
- Gum disease
- Painful teeth
- Bad breath
- Discoloured or stained teeth
Our affordable hygiene plan
Our Hygiene Plan provides affordable, accessible hygiene appointments whether you are a patient with the NHS or a private patient:
Affordable Hygiene Plan
- 30 minute Hygiene appointments
- 2 per year
- 10% discount on Home Teeth Whitening Fees**
** Subject to suitability
Different conditions that Dental Hygienists can treat
Our hygienists’ role includes dealing with:
- Scaling and polishing teeth to remove hardened plaque. This not only improves the look of your teeth, but prevents more plaque from developing
- Assessing your gums for signs of swelling, inflammation and bleeding
- Treating and removing stains on your teeth. At Dentalcare Pangbourne, we now offer Airflow polish which uses the combination of air, sodium bicarbonate and a jet of water to gently but effectively remove stains from your teeth and give a natural, whiter enamel surface
- Identifying and treating gingivitis – red and inflamed gums and periodontitis which is when gums become further infected
- Applying fluoride varnish and sealants on to children’s teeth to strengthen and protect teeth
- Antibacterial treatments can be applied in the form of a gel to kill bacteria
- Demonstrate the best ways to clean and floss your teeth
- Give recommendations about diet, drink and tips to stop smoking to boost oral health
Book your appointment for Dental Hygienists
Airflow Polish in Pangbourne
We offer the latest in teeth cleaning. Airflow effectively removes staining caused by tea, coffee, smoking and red wine by using a fine jet of compressed air, water and fine powder particles.
Airflow is for you if:
- You don’t want to resort to teeth whitening treatments but would like your teeth to sparkle
- You have a build-up of plaque – Airflow can remove this more quickly and easily compared to the usual scale and polish
- You have sensitive teeth. There is no direct contact with your teeth when your teeth are cleaned with Airflow
- You have dental implants, bridges, crowns or veneers. Airflow is safe to use with all of these
What dental hygienists at Pangbourne can offer you
At Dentalcare Pangbourne our dental hygienists will:
- Offer personal support. Each patient is recognised as being unique and having individual needs. We make recommendations solely on what is right for you
- Welcome patients of all ages including children. We believe it is vital to educate and promote good oral health to all
- Offer flexible hygienist appointment times to suit you including early, late and weekend options
Frequently asked questions about dental hygiene
How often should I see the hygienist?
We usually recommend twice a year, but this varies according to each person and depends upon factors such as how good your oral hygiene is, whether you have any signs of gum disease or if you are at risk of developing gum disease. Also, if you are prone to staining on your teeth you may want to see your hygienist more frequently. Your hygienist will advise you on when they next want to see you.
What type of toothpaste should I use?
There are many different toothpastes now available with some specialising in sensitivity, whitening or tartar control. We recommend that you use a fluoride toothpaste as it helps prevent tooth decay, but your hygienist can give you recommendations.
How can I make my teeth look white?
Teeth become discoloured through stains caused by food and drink. Having your teeth professionally cleaned and polished will remove these stains and restore them to their natural colour. Airflow works quickly and effectively to remove these stains and return your teeth to their natural shade.
If you are unhappy with the natural colour of your teeth, then you may want to consider professional teeth whitening.